Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Don't Want to Rule the World


Alright! What to say about this here tape? This is sort of a homemade tape that was created when I was a sophomore in high school. Down the road from where I grew up was Whitworth College in Spokane, Washington. Like all colleges there was a common place called the HUB where students could congregate and flirt with one another between classes. The HUB held a kick ass radio station called KWRS as well as a stage where live shows could be seen. I would go down there just about every weekend to see local bands play and mosh around like people try and do these days (Its not the same). KWRS announced that they were going to air this Black Happy show. Luckily my cousin was staying at my house at the time and I had him record the show onto tape while I attended. Black Happy shows were amazing shows to go to. While all of the crazy grunge and Sub Pop music happening in Seattle, we had Black Happy. After many shows in small clubs and elsewheres, these guys created quite a following. By my senior year of high school all of the football players and jock heads started to go to the shows with fists and pent up anger. Maybe it was all of the burritos I threw at them during school lunch. Somehow the shows weren't as fun anymore. Eventually these guys broke up becoming Shoveljerk. I feel lucky to have captured this moment in Spokane's live music history. The show is available below. Just copy and paste it into your browser, download and enjoy. It is one large mp3 about 48 minutes long. At the end there is also the two songs off of Black Happy's "Go Off" 7" which was put out by my great friend Corey Menzer. Menzer if you have anything to add please comment below. Of course you have something to add! Cheers!

Click on this.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=aa876a24c0126ac3ab1eab3e9fa335cadc55cf5a41149844

1 comment:

Melvillain said...

I was fortunate enough to catch there last show. Great band, great time!

I am

My photo
Portland, Oregon, United States

Followers